Under the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) personal data is defined as:
“any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person (‘data subject’); an identifiable natural person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person”.
1. What information do we collect about you?
This section tells you what personal information we collect when you participate in our live and virtual event services.
We may collect the following information relating to you:
- Personal contact details: email address, postal address and telephone number (fixed) and mobile
- Professional information including, Company name, job title, department name, workplace address, work email and fixed line and work mobile number
- Usernames and passwords
- Payment information, such as a credit or debit card number or bank account details
- Comments, feedback and other content submitted via or website contact us section or via our market research surveys.
- Marketing communication preferences and permissions where appropriate
Your CV and career history when you have applied for career opportunities with Coffee Ventures Europe.
Information such as your dietary preferences and accessibility requirements when attending live events, this can be considered as special categories of personal data.
This personal information relates to the following categories of people:
2. Lawful basis for processing personal information
- Prospects, client contacts, consumer event attendees in respect of our event services for both face to face and virtual elements
- Visitors, sponsors, exhibitors and speakers at our events
- Industry leaders featured in digital and print products such as film and photography content
- Contributors and reviewers in respect of our digital content
- Contacts of our service providers and business partners
We only process personal information where we have a valid and lawful basis for doing so and remain in full compliance with Article 6 of the GDPR. The following areas of lawful basis apply for our specific purposes:
– This is where you have given us explicit permission to process personal information for a given purpose. For example, if you have signed up to Coffee Ventures Europe newsletters, or completed a website enquiry forms. You can manage your preferences by contacting our GDPR lead on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Legitimate business purposes
– This is where we have a legitimate interest as a business to process personal information. Our legitimate interests in processing include: to deliver event services and to better understand our business and consumer audiences and to continue to improve our services.
– This is where we have to process personal information to meet our contractual obligations. For example, if you are attending one of our events and purchased tickets, we need your personal information to process tickets.
3. How we use your personal information?
We collect personal information for the following main reasons:
To deliver our event services (live or virtual)
– We require some of your basic personal information so our services work as you would expect, for example, providing access to our live and virtual events. When you attend one of virtual events (Global Coffee Festival and Global Coffee Network) your name details may be visible to other attendees. It is important, if you are making group ticket purchases for our events that you seek the permission of delegates that you are acting on behalf to be able to share their details with Coffee Ventures Europe. Additionally, we will need your personal information to resolve any customer queries.
To deliver marketing emails
– We will need to process your personal information where you have provided your consent to receive marketing emails from us. Our marketing emails will keep you informed about our latest events, special features, keep you up to date with industry insights and will share with you exclusive event invitations and early bird discounts on tickets.
You can withdraw your consent at any time. In the case of marketing emails, you can withdraw your consent by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of the email.
To administer prize draws and competitions
– If you enter one of our sponsored competitions, we will need to process your personal information, for example if you are a nominated as winner we may need to send you your prize by post or by email. We may also be required, subject to the rules of the competition publish or otherwise make available your name and/or region if you are selected as a winner in a competition or prize draw.
To collect research and insight –
In order to provide you with the best possible events experience both live and digital, this requires us to continuously improve our events. In order to make improvements in our services we will sometimes contact you with online market research surveys, telephone interviews to help us capture your feedback and insight.
To process payments
– We, along with our authorised payments processors, securely process your payment information to take payments, issue refunds and to detect and prevent fraudulent activity. We will also advise in the event that a payment is unsuccessful.
– If you apply for a role via our Coffee Ventures Europe careers page we will process your information in order to manage the candidate application process. Your details are shared with our People HR team and relevant hiring managers.
Compliance and legal obligations
– This is where we have to process personal information in order to comply with the law. For example, we process and retain customer invoice and tickets information to comply with HMRC financial regulations.
4. Will Coffee Ventures Europe share my personal data with anyone else?
We may pass your personal data collected on to other Allegra Group Companies, associated companies (Allegra Strategies Ltd, Allegra Insights, Allegra World Coffee Portal, Allegra Strategies Research + Consultancy Ltd, Allegra Foundation, Maverick, Camden Clean Air, Balance Inc Ltd
), partners, subcontractors and third-party agents for the purpose of fulfilling the provision of Coffee Ventures Europe services.
Coffee Ventures Europe engages with a mix of third-party service providers including: hotels, event venues, traffic management and car parking facilities, freight and transport management organisations, onsite operations and logistics management services, payment collection, processing companies and IT systems and platforms specific to the delivery of virtual events.
We are taking all the necessary steps with our suppliers to ensure they are GDPR compliant by implementing annual due diligence reviews led by our GDPR leader.
Any personal data exchanged is transferred and shared in compliance with GDPR regulations.
All Allegra Group companies, associated companies, partners, subcontractors that we may share your data with are obliged to keep your details securely, and to use them solely for the purposes of fulfilling the event service or send you their information because you have shown interest in their services.
When they no longer need your data to fulfil this service, they will dispose of the details in line with Coffee Ventures Europe procedures.
5. Why does Coffee Ventures Europe need to collect and store personal data?
In order for us to provide you relevant information about our services (which you have shown an interest in), provide opportunities to give your opinions and data in surveys, or applying for employment we need to collect personal data to deliver our services and conduct business.
Coffee Ventures Europe customers may be required to share certain personal data such as: Business contact information to engage in our services. (Examples of personal data required: first name, surname, work location, email, fax, fixed line, mobile number, emergency contact details, banking and credit/debit card, meeting preferences, dietary, special accommodation requests and vehicle registration details)
In any event, we are committed to ensuring that the information we collect, and use is appropriate for this purpose and does not constitute an invasion of your privacy.
6. What forms of ID will I need to provide in order to access this?
7. Contact details of the GDPR Leader
GDPR Leader contact details
- Coffee Ventures Europe accepts the following forms of ID when information on your personal data is requested:
- Driving Licence
- Birth Certificate
- Utility Bill, Credit Card/Bank Statement from the previous 3 months
Address: Serendipity House
106 Arlington Road
Email: +44 (0)20 7691 8800
Document Owner and Approval
The GDPR Leader at Coffee Ventures Europe is the owner of this document and is responsible for ensuring that this record is reviewed in line with the review requirements of the GDPR.
Change History Record
Issue 1 – Initial Release – GDPR Leader – 21/05/2018
Issue 2 – Description of personal data and data sharing – GDPR Leader – 08/08/2018
Issue 3 – Update on lawful basis for processing, update on how we use your personal information and update on description of your rights – GDPR Leader – 30/09/2020